1.21.2009

Not Getting Salmonella

Yikes! I almost got salmonella poisoning. Well, maybe I almost got salmonella poisoning.

In case you haven't heard, there's a big recall on products containing certain types of peanut butter.

I'm a huge peanut butter fan. I mean, huge. Currently I have brownies with peanut butter chips on the counter, chocolate and peanut butter ice cream from Oberweis Dairy in the freezer, giant containers of crunchy and creamy peanut butter in the cupboard ... well, you get the idea.

So the other day when I heard about the salmonella outbreak I dutifully checked the FDA website to confirm none of my tasty products are included. At the time, I was safe.

Then I just read that the recall now includes some Clif products that contain peanut butter. Uh-oh. When I'm running between teaching and taking classes I often eat part of a Clif bar as a snack so I don't croak. (Trust me, you don't want to see what happens when I don't eat regularly.) I just stocked up on Clif bars over the weekend for this very reason. And yesterday, I carried a certain Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif bar around in my bag in case I needed a snack right before teaching. But I forgot about it. So I left it in my bag because I knew I'd need a snack during my night class since it goes for 3.5 hours straight and I have to eat dinner at 4:45 p.m. in order to make it to class on time.

But our professor brought us cookies so, again, no snack.

Thank God!!

One of the Clif bars I have (the Peanut Toffee Buzz) is safe because the date isn't listed on the Clif bar website. But the one I almost ate yesterday is definitely included on the list.

Now, I realize I may have eaten that Clif bar and been totally fine. But still, it's not a risk I'm willing to take so that poor fellow is now sitting in my garbage. I'm tempted to toss the other one too, in fact. I hate the idea of wasting a perfectly good Clif bar, but you can't be too safe, right?

No comments: