1.10.2009

Buttons & Bowknots

A lazy Saturday morning calls for the revival of a lazy Saturday morning recipe from childhood. When I think of weekend breakfasts from when I was growing up, two things spring to mind: coffee cake and buttons & bowknots.

(Wait a second. I just realized I never posted the coffee cake either, did I? I could've sworn I did that. Oh well. I'll share that soon.)

So, without further ado, I present to you an incredibly easy, cinnamon-y breakfast (adapted from Betty Crocker, of course). Try it tomorrow!

2 c. buttermilk baking mix
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. milk
1 egg
1/4 c. butter, melted (I guess you could use margarine if you really must)
1/2 c. sugar
cinnamon

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix thoroughly baking mix, 2 tbsp sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, milk, and egg.


Beat vigorously 20 strokes. Round up dough on a lightly floured surface (in my world, that's just the countertop); knead 5 times (I did it 7 and it turned out just fine, if you must know). Roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter.


Twist the larger pieces of dough into bows (think 8s). Place the holes (buttons) and bowknots on an ungreased baking sheet.


Bake 8 to 10 minutes.


Immediately after baking, dip each in melted butter, then cinnamon and sugar.


Eat while warm. Try not to let the dog reach them. He'll give you those puppy dog eyes and stare longingly at the table and let me tell you, it's hard to resist ...

No comments: