12.17.2009

The New Mixer

You may have a noticed a little something different in my last post. Instead of the usual handheld mixer and Pyrex bowl, I gave you a glimpse of a rather shiny contraption with a silver bowl and paddle.

It was none other than my (er ... our) very lovely, brand-new KitchenAid Mixer!


It has been on my "dream kitchen item" list for years, even before I had my own kitchen in which to place the mixer. I've long fantasized about whipping up huge batches of cookies, of mixing bread dough, of all the wonderful things you can do with these stand mixers.

Plus, I worked on enough dreamy kitchen magazines in my last life to know that any stylish, striking kitchen has one on the counter. And you all know that my salmon tile and peeling cupboards are the height of style, so naturally all I needed to complete the space was a KitchenAid Mixer.

This rather heavy creature arrived one day as an extremely generous wedding gift from some very good family friends of Conservative Family (thank you thank you thank you!). And, because of school, it sat on the countertop for about a week, looking lovely yet lonely and waiting for me to use it.

Fortunately, the cookie-making extravaganza was the perfect opportunity to try it out.

It allowed me to make a double-batch of sugar cookies (more on that tomorrow) with ease. It was the only bearable portion of my Christmas tree cookie disaster. And it made the candy cane cookies come together beautifully.

(In fact, they taste better than usual. Is it possible my mixer has magical powers?)

Oh, and did I mention it looks good too? (Although I do need to master taking photos of it. All those shiny parts confuse my precious little point and shoot.)

No comments: