Cookie-Making Extravaganza Update: Day 2

Saturday was day two of the cookie-making extravaganza. Only it was a short day because Conservative Boy (or Hubby—which do you prefer?) and I had to go Christmas shopping.

It's probably for the best that the cookie-making portion of the day was short. It turned out to be rather disastrous.

You see, I decided that I would make Christmas tree cookies for C.B. They're another of his favorites that he requests every year. Usually, somehow, I skip making them. But this year I decided to oblige. I think that's what you're supposed to do when you marry someone, right? On occasion at least?

So I borrowed the all-important cookie press from Conservative Mom. It's the secret to making Christmas tree cookies and has been around for forever.

Although I've borrowed it before, I've never actually used it. But it looked like a relatively easy process, so I set to work.

First, you need the ingredients:

1 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
green food coloring
2 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

You begin by creaming the shortening and then adding the sugar gradually. Next, add the egg and almond extract and beat the mixture very well.

Then it's time to sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Gradually add it to the first mixture and stir until blended well. Don't forget to add green food coloring too!

Then comes the important part: filling the cookie press. Once it's filled, you simply place the press on an ungreased cookie sheet, turn the handle and, magically, a little Christmas tree cookie appears.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work.

The cookie press takes a bit of getting used to, so my first couple of cookies were either scraggly or smushed. (Yes, I know smushed isn't a word. But it's my story so I'll use it if I want to.)

Then I got the hang of it. The next couple of cookies were easy to make and quite Christmas tree-like.

Only then I hit a snag. The top of the press, the handle you hold when turning it, fell off.

And try as I might, I couldn't get it back on.

About 20 minutes later, C.B. arrived home from the gym to find me in a rage. I was still trying to get those cookies made, after trying all manner of ways to hold the handle in place, to turn the press with pliers, anything I could think of. It. wasn't. working.

So I resorted to making little Christmas ornaments rather than trees. (At least, that's what I decided to call them in an attempt to be festive, even though I really just wanted to throw them at the wall.)

With C.B.'s help (I held the press, he twisted the handle with pliers) we made a couple more deformed trees. But then we called it quits and went back to Christmas balls for the rest of the dough. Not nearly as exciting as Christmas trees, but they taste the same.

And so day two of the cookie-making extravaganza ended in defeat. I vowed to redeem myself on day three, however.

Did I? I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: