12.12.2009

Gratitude: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I have never made my own chicken broth before.

I know this statement will garner a mix of reactions. Some of you will be amazed, shocked, appalled. Others will say, "Umm ... why would you? That's what Campbell's is for." And at least one of you will say, "Dirty chickens."

Regardless, it's something I've been meaning to do. I even thought I might do it yesterday. But then I got distracted embarking on my cookie-making extravaganza (more on that later) and, in a quest to make homemade chicken noodle soup with our leftover herb-backed chicken from Wednesday night, I settled for purchasing some tasty broth from the store to complete my recipe.


Despite the lack of homemade broth, the chicken soup was good. Very good. And I am incredibly grateful for it.

There are few things as wonderful as homemade chicken noodle soup. Particularly when you're sick (which I am), it's cold outside (it is), or it's a day that ends in y.

Anything warm and hearty and homemade is reason to celebrate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Appalled AND disappointed, actually. Think of all of the chicken bones you throw away, either directly or because the chicken factory removes them for you, charges you extra for the lack of bones, and then has the gall to sell you substandard commercial broth made from them.

I am, however, the proud owner of a 20qt stock pot, which means I may be biased. Not an everyday thing, mind you; I'll save up bones, skin, drippings, and vegetable waste (celery greens and bases, carrot ends, outer layers of onions) for a month or so and then cook it all day all at once.

Give it a try; you'll never go back to Swansons or whatever.