1.08.2011

Surfing Tales, Part 1

Let's get something out in the open right now.

I did not surf in California. I did not surf in California for a number of reasons.

For one thing, it was very cold in the water and on land for the 8 a.m. surf lesson.

Plus I had fake bronchitis and sinusitis.

I call it fake because that's what Conservative Hubby said it was all week--fake because I didn't "sound" like I had it. Apparently symptoms such as wheezing and chest pain and general congestion do not matter unless you sound really, really stuffed up and terrible.

For another thing, I'm a chicken.

There I said it.

When I was younger, I was pummeled by big waves on numerous occasions--once so hard that three hours later I bent over and what felt like a gallon of salt water came pouring out of my nose. Let me tell you, this does not feel good.

Plus my swimming skills are a little lackluster, which is why I absolutely adore the ocean and the sound of waves and the scent of the breeze off the water and the feeling of the sand between my toes but prefer to enjoy it all from the shore ... or at the very least from water that isn't so deep I must swim.

Besides, if I had taken surf lessons, who would have taken 240 photos of the action ... some of which you will be seeing in a couple of moments?

No comments: