7.01.2012

Kohlrabi

Last year was the first time I ever tried kohlrabi. I had no idea what to do with it, but was fortunate that the week it first appeared in my CSA delivery, My Sister was visiting. She, of course, was familiar with the curious cabbage cultivar.


So we sliced it up and ate it raw. It was a nice addition to salads, too.

This year, however, I decided to try something else with my weekly kohlrabi delivery. So I sliced it up, tossed it with a few cloves of freshly minced garlic, a nice drizzle of olive oil, and some salt and pepper. I roasted it until soft and served it sprinkled with grated Parmesan.

I intended to eat half of it and save the rest for a future meal. I ended up eating it all, standing over the pan, fork in hand.

And then I repeated the same scenario the next week.


Roasted kohlrabi is really, really good. With the garlic, it has a great flavor, but it's a very mild veggie. I think it's a great substitute for potatoes, actually, at any meal.

Please try it. I think you'll like it.

(This message was not paid for by the Friends of Kohlrabi Committee. I doubt such a committee exists, but just in case it does, please know they did not compensate me, in cash or cabbage cultivars.)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yummmyy! I will have to try that one out!
My favorite summer veggie....nom nom nom!