5.04.2010

Mmmm Pie

It's that time of year again, when the stalks of rhubarb turn red and cry out for a little strawberry companionship.


So this weekend, as a break from the endless hours spent preparing final papers and presentations and articles and such, I snagged some rhubarb from a friend's yard and made a strawberry rhubarb pie for Conservative Family Dinner.

You saw the same recipe here last year, but this one is much prettier. Just think what next year's pie might look like. Or next weekend's ... there's still a lot of rhubarb to be eaten.

I'm wondering what else I could do with my rhubarb, besides make another pie. Stew it? No way. (Conservative Mom would have nightmares of school lunches past.) Throw it out? (Not really my idea, but I know that's what Conservative Hubby would suggest.)

Any ideas?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

While rhubarb works fine with other things, like strawberries, it doesn't actually need to be covered up by other fruit. Also, rolling out pie crusts is a pain. Here's the rhubarb crisp recipe my Mom uses (and so do I, on the rare occasion I have rhubarb, which, in any event, would be months from now).

Combine 3C chopped rhubarb with 1C sugar and 3T flour in a greased 8x8 pan. For the topping, combine (but don't over-combine) 3/4 C brown sugar, 3/4 C oatmeal, 3/4 C flour, and 1/2 C butter. Sprinkle over the top, then bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Mom wants me to inform you that this should be served warm, and with ice cream. Just in case you didn't know.

Julie said...

To be honest, I've never considered the possibility of rhubarb sans strawberries. (I know, it's uncivilized of me.) That pretty much assures that only Conservative Dad and I will eat it, but hey, more for us, right?

It does sound tasty (and easy) though, so I hope to try it this weekend. And I most definitely will be sure to serve it warm and with ice cream. My mouth is watering already.

dining room table said...

This is perfect if paired with some vanilla ice cream! I am imagining eating some right now! Thanks for the recipe.