6.05.2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

There must be something about this strawberry rhubarb pie recipe that people can't resist.


I saw it on one of my fave food blogs, Smitten Kitchen, not long ago and immediately flagged it as one I had to make. So, when big, beautiful red stalks of rhubarb appeared at the farmer's market last week (and when I learned Conservative Dad loves strawberry rhubarb pie), I decided the time was right to try the recipe.

And I'm not the only one—my good friend Cara made it just the other day too (and hers is much prettier than mine so you better check it out).

No cooking or baking endeavor in my kitchen is without adventure, and of course this instance was no different. First challenge: I had the crust all ready to go before I realized I don't actually own a pie pan. Funny, considering how much I love to bake pies. Guess I always make them at other people's homes. So I raced to Kroger to buy one of the glass ones I saw for sale there, only to discover that with their remodeling they got rid of all the Pyrex cookware in favor of those disposable tin versions. Ack. Needless to say, I made my pie in one of those little metal pie pans. Which led to the next near-disaster: When I pulled the pie from the oven, the flimsy pie pan tipped and sent hot, sticky strawberry-rhubarb juice all over the floor (that I had just mopped). That's why I went ahead and skipped the egg white and sugar on top. It's a good thing too, because I needed that time later when I tried to put the cooled pie away and spilled again.

Despite these misadventures and the fact that my pie isn't all that beautiful (who's for pies with character?), I have to say this recipe is delicious. Even Conservative Mom and Conservative Boy thought it was good–minus the rhubarb, of course.

No comments: