6.01.2008

The L-Town Farmer's Market

Butter and I took a walk down to the farmer's market Saturday morning. Having long loved the Des Moines Farmer's Market, I knew this small-town version wouldn't come close to comparing. But as long as there are fresh, in-season, local fruits and vegetables and a few other things to choose from, what's not to like?

The first couple times I went to the market, there were three tables set up in the park: One elderly couple selling baked goods; one young woman selling a few plants, some fresh coffee in little paper cups, and some yummy cinnamon rolls; and a man selling a ton of herb plants and some asparagus. (I bought some of everything, by the way.)

This week, the market doubled in size! It was terrific. The three original vendors were there again, but they were joined by a couple hawking cherries, new potatoes, and some baked breads; another woman selling gourmet breads and dips; a couple of guys selling rhubarb, spring lettuce, and spinach. Here's what I came home with:


Some spring lettuce, rhubarb (so I can make Conservative Dad a strawberry-rhubarb pie), asparagus (of course), and cherries. The cherries may not be in season right around here yet this year, but they are growing in other parts of the state. And man, these ones I bought are good.

Of course, Butter was more interested in the people there than what they were selling. He was showered with attention by most, but those few people there shopping for farmer's market fare who weren't interested in having a panting, slobbery dog standing beside them really puzzled Butter. What? he asked when I pulled him away from them. But why wouldn't they want to pet me? I didn't have the heart to explain to his little puppy ego that not everyone loves dogs, but fortunately the guy who sold me my cherries loved him and rubbed his belly so then he forgot all about the mean ladies who didn't want to shower him with adoration.

Expect frequent updates on the state of the L-Town Farmer's Market, which is held each Saturday and Wednesday morning. And I expect to try out some other central Illinois farmer's markets later this summer too. Got a good one you know about? Let me know.

Oh, and here's a handy tool: If you want to know what's in season in your part of the country, just select your state and the time of month here and you'll get a list of what to look for. Pretty handy.

No comments: