6.17.2008

Buttermilk Pie

Can't say I'd ever have thought to make buttermilk pie, but Conservative Dad requested it for Father's Day. And, well, you just can't turn down a father's request on his day. (Plus I don't think I am capable of turning down an excuse to make a pie. Ever.)

So I went a-searching online for the perfect buttermilk pie recipe to make. Having no idea what a buttermilk pie looked like, let alone what ingredients went into it, I decided to trust Emeril's advice since it's a southern thing. So I settled on this recipe. But then I decided I wasn't so sure how I felt about the lemon zest, so I looked a little more and found one with vanilla instead. Much better.

Here's the recipe I used. It's super easy and the results were pretty darn delicious. Although I will warn you, I discovered yesterday that this pie tastes much better when it's cold. We ate it on Sunday when it was cool, but not cold. Yesterday afternoon's pie and coffee break proved that a night in the fridge did this pie some good. Anyhow, I digress. On to the recipe (I went for the sweeter version, by the way—what a surprise).

Buttermilk Pie
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat eggs slightly and add sugar and flour. Add melted butter and mix well. Add buttermilk and vanilla. Mix.

Pour batter into pie shell (use a premade 9-inch shell to speed things along like I did), then bake at 325 degrees. The custard should be set in the middle (it takes about an hour).

Enjoy with fathers, mothers, siblings, or whoever is around.

(Oh, and sorry. No pictures. I thought of that after Conservative Boy ate the last piece. Oops.)

4 comments:

Jason said...

The time saved in using a premade shell (what, 5 minutes?) is not worth the shame incurred by doing so. Hang your head accordingly.

Julie said...

You are right. It is SO shameful, isn't it? I am tempted to go make another one with a homemade crust pronto to right this wrong. Homemade crusts are so much better than the premade stuff (and they're packaging free). I know, I know. Lay on the criticism. I deserve it. ;)

Jason said...

Very good.

P.S. Don't tell CB that I make pie crusts.

Julie said...

Don't worry, I won't. That might seriously damage your rep.