1.29.2010

Calzones

Remember yesterday how I shared with you the recipe for Sunset's best pizza dough? Well, today I'm going to show you what I did with the dough.


While it finished rising, I sauteed some onions and green peppers (as I wanted to make a supreme calzone, as opposed to Conservative Hubby's standard pepperoni and cheese version).


It's a good idea to saute any meat or veggies before you assemble the calzone, as this releases excess moisture that otherwise would be released inside the pocket of dough (if that happens, the dough gets soggy).

Then, once the dough was done rising, I divvied it up into six pieces. One at a time, I rolled the balls out into a circle on a lightly floured surface.

First, I applied the pizza sauce all over the dough, to within a half-inch of the edge.


Then I sprinkled on veggies, meats, and cheese onto half of the sauce-covered portion.


Next I folded the unfilled side over the filling and pinched the edges together.

I repeated this process with the other five pieces of dough, then placed all of the calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.


I put the calzones in the oven, then promptly removed them because I forgot to poke the top of them with a fork to let steam escape.

Then back into the oven they went, where they baked at 425 degrees for roughly 15 minutes (until they turned golden brown).


Yum.

No comments: