9.23.2009

Shrimp Spaghetti

I am shocked and appalled to realize that I have never posted Auntie R's shrimp spaghetti recipe here. How have I overlooked it, when it is one of the old standbys I make quite often? Sometimes I really do question my sanity.


So I'm about to right this grievous wrong by sharing this easy, delicious recipe with you. Here we go:

Saute one pound of shrimp in 1/4 cup olive oil until the shrimp are pink. Remove the shrimp.

Add 1/4 cup dry white wine (pour yourself a glass while you're at it ... this is required), 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon basil, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon oregano to the pan.


Now add 1 can chopped tomatoes. If you want an extra kick (a requirement, if you live with someone with taste buds like Conservative Boy's), consider looking for a can that includes chiles. This gives the pasta a nice kick. And add some red pepper flakes too.


While the sauce simmers, cook spaghetti according to package directions. I can't tell you how much spaghetti you should make. I always get it wrong. Just use your judgment—and remember, it's much better to have some leftover than not enough. Trust me, I know.


Return the shrimp to the sauce to heat. If you're nice, remove the tails first. (Conservative Boy is not a fan of pulling the tails off his shrimp when it's in pasta, just so you know. In case, you know, you're ever cooking for him.)


Drain the spaghetti and combine with the sauce.


Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments: