9.08.2009

Milking a Cow

I have a confession to make: After my first trip to the Illinois State Fair a few weeks ago, I have decided I still prefer the Iowa State Fair.

Blame it on the fact that I attended the Iowa State Fair nearly every year I lived in Des Moines, so am more familiar with it. Or blame it on the fact My Sister and I went on a Thursday afternoon, when things were a bit quiet. Blame it on whatever you want, but I think the Iowa version still ranks above the Illinois one in my book.

Admittedly, there was one activity that earned the Illinois fair serious points, however. My Sister and I milked a cow.


It cost a dollar, but boy oh boy was it worth it. If you've never milked a cow, I suggest you try it. I only got to give the udder one good tug, but man it was thrilling when that milk came squirting out. We contemplated bribing the kids working with $5 if they'd let us really go to town on the cow. It was that fun.


(On the ride home, My Sister and I speculated as to whether we may have lived on a dairy farm in a past life. How else can you explain the connection we had with milking? It was surreal.)

I realize this may sound incredibly strange to you. That's cool. All I know is I will go back to the Illinois State Fair next year just to milk a cow again, and I will take enough cash to spend more time milking.

Unless, of course, I can convince Conservative Boy that a cow would be a worthwhile investment? It would allows us to stop the milk delivery and stop mowing. Although my weekly poop pick-ups would get a whole lot messier ... hmmm. Maybe once a year at the fair is often enough after all.

On a side note, as we were leaving the fair we realized one reason why things may have been a bit lame.

What do you think? Can we blame it on that? (And yes, I'm wearing my cow milking button in that picture.)

No comments: