7.02.2008

A New Garden

Big news: Where two ugly, overgrown bushes once dominated our yard, I now have two beautiful patches of soil in which to grow things. Once I whip the soil into shape with a shovel and some compost, it's going to be time to start planting. But I need your help.

In the first plot right by the street, I'm thinking a perennial garden is the way to go, with as many sun-loving, drought-tolerant, native plants I can scrounge up.

But for the second, smaller patch (we're talking maybe four feet square), I can't resist: It's going to be a little vegetable garden to supplement what's growing in my pots. A bit late to plant? Perhaps. But I might as well get going with a few things now and perhaps a few more things later this summer. So here's my question: What should I plant?

(And yes, those veggies are growing right in our front yard. What's wrong with that?)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay for you for planting veggies in the front yard. As a landscape designer, I am a huge fan of the ornamental qualities of some vegetable plants. I love it when people make vegetables part of the landscaping rather than tucking them off in a back corner.

Lettuce is a really fast vegetable, since you eat its leaves and don't have to wait for a "fruit" to develop. Usually ours is ready to eat about 5-6 weeks after planting the seeds in the ground.

There are some really beautiful lettuces, in all different shades of green. Planting deep greens with chartreuse greens gives a great visual impact. Lettuces also tend to be nice and compact, which would be great in a front yard garden...they won't get leggy and floppy on you.

You could put a big potted tomato plant in the bed for height amongst the lettuce.

That's my two cents. Enjoy whatever you plant!

Julie said...

I appreciate the advice, Kristin. I was thinking lettuce would be a good idea. And I hadn't thought of just moving my big tomato pot into the garden but that would be so easy! I started working the soil last night so will try to post pictures soon so I can get more feedback. :)