7.31.2008

Gardening

Perhaps it is time to share some images of the front-yard garden, yes? First, I think you may benefit from seeing the "before" photo, as if these were all going to be published in some high-end home magazine someday. (Ha. I am so funny sometimes.)

BEFORE

I had nothing against these bushes in theory. I like bushes well enough. Basically, I love anything that's alive and has foliage. Even some weeds, which drives Conservative Dad crazy, by the way. But the giant bush by the curb totally obstructed our view of the street when we backed out of the driveway. And the other round bush behind it? It looks pretty good in this picture, but it wasn't in the greatest shape. And you try trimming a bush that's huge and round and much taller than you are. It's tough. (Side note: Yes, if you look closely, that is Butter is the window. Where else would he be?)

Now, for the after. This is where the big round bush was.

AFTER

Now it is my baby vegetable garden, complete with little rows of mixed lettuce, Roma tomatoes, zucchini, and cantaloupe. Random, yes. But I planted this quite late in the season so I improvised. Just wait til next year when I have time to plan and take advantage of every square inch of this baby. (Oh, and that marigold pot on the other side of the Romas? My lazy late attempt at companion planting. Why put 'em in the ground when they're already doing just fine in the pot?)

Moving on. This is the space formerly occupied by the giant square bush. It is my perennial garden. A little lackluster now, yes, because some of the plants I picked are early summer bloomers and have already done their thing. And some, like some of those purple coneflowers, are transplants from a certain special aunt's yard and have not quite gotten used to their new surroundings. But just wait, folks. Next year I think this baby will be a real beaut, especially after I add a few more things to the mix.

AFTER

Ah, what the heck. Why not one more after for the road? Here you get a glimpse of the new perennial garden, the vegetable garden, and the overabundance of potted plants I started before I realized the front-yard gardens might be possible. And yes, that is Butter in the window again. This time you really have to look hard, but he's there.

AFTER
Wait! Before you go. I just remembered a very important fact I can't forget to share. Conservative Boy helped me lay those pavers around the perennial garden. And he helped me plant a few of the perennials in said garden. Can you believe it?

I couldn't either. I'm still in shock actually. And that garden has been there for, oh, a month now. I might get over my shock by fall. But hopefully by then I will have convinced him to trim the rest of the bushes still present around our house, and I'll have that feat to be in shock about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you hire someone to remove the shrubs/bushes?

Kristin said...

Looks great!