7.17.2008

Eating Less Meat (Part II)

Now, about this whole "eating less meat" thing. I feel the need to clarify. I am not saying I am going to stop eating meat. I have no plans to become a vegetarian. I was raised in Wyoming, in ranching country. I eat meat.

What I am saying is that a lot of the meat that's available in the store is ... well, questionable, to say the least. What with meat recalls and that fuzzy gray cast certain steaks take well before they should, with the nasty conditions chickens and cattle are raised in when they spend their short lives at a CAFO (if you can all it "raised," since they don't exactly live long happy lives), it just makes sense to me to stop eating so much factory-produced meat. Instead? How about more tasty vegetables, fruits, grains, what have you—so that when I do eat meat I can begin working to ensure that it is quality meat, good meat? (Which often means forking over more money; yes, I know.)

Let's be realistic here. I'm not saying that I want my piggies or cattle to have manicures and pedicures and lots of time to bask in the sun without a care in the world. But I do think it's reasonable to expect that they won't live their lives confined, basking in their own excrement, with zero exposure to real grass or fresh air. (Gross, but a realistic scenario.)

Despite the fact it's inhumane, it also affects the quality of meat we eat—and by extension, our own health. Those animals that spend time outside, that get to move around, that eat food such animals are meant to eat (also known as grass, folks), produce healthier, tastier meat. Animals that are raised in large-scale factory farming operations aren't healthy in the least bit (unless you call feeding cows tons of corn mixed with a hearty dose of drugs so they can stomach said corn, when their bodies aren't made to consume corn in the first place, healthy).

I want to know where my meat comes from, perhaps if I'm lucky to even meet the fellow (or lady, if you will) who was responsible for it.

Is that too much to ask?

Now the trick is finding these local sources. Anyone know where I can get great local meat around L-Town? I haven't seen much (or, rather, any) in the local grocery stores, so fill me in on where I should be looking. Am I just missing it? Hook a girl up.

5 comments:

Jason said...

You might want to clean this sentence up: Despite the fact it's inhumane, it also effects the quality of meat we eat—and by extension, our own health.

Also, I keep telling you, convince C.B. to set down the golf clubs and pick up a gun. Or just get one (or two) yourself.

Julie said...

Grr. I told C.B. last night that he needed to leave me alone so I could read over that post otherwise you would spot a mistake. Duly noted and I will fix it right now.

Funny you should mention guns, as C.B. was just ranting about how he needed one last night. I don't think you guys are on the same page about what to use them for though—he wants to take up arms against the shady salesmen stealing things from people's houses around here. I don't think that's going to help me much in my attempts at eating better meat ...

Also, C.B. just asked: Doesn't he have a bar exam to study for or something? (He said it, not me.)

Jason said...

That is the beauty of guns, they can do many, many things.

I would stay away from salesman meat, I hear it can be quite slimy.

As for the bar exam studying, the 90/98% pass rate has me quite complacent.

Unknown said...

Jules! You might try a local meat locker - we have them in Iowa and I have had many family members and friends who order meat direct from the source. You should be aware, though, that I think you usually need to make a large order - like half a cow at a time. Hope that helps!

PS Your flowering friends are GORGEOUS.

Julie said...

That's a good idea, Jess. We can get a side of beef from a local guy here but there's just one little problem with that scenario: we'd have to buy a big freezer or we wouldn't have room for all of it! So I'm working on finding someone to split it; I think we might be able to make a quarter fit. But we'll see.

Glad you like the flowers! You should come see them in person. ;)