6.08.2010

Rhubarb Crisp

Since our first batch of homemade ice cream turned out to be a success (and subsequent batches even more so), my recipe brainstorming has revolved around what might complement a scoop of vanilla.

First on the list: rhubarb crisp.


Now, I know roughly half of you are smacking your lips in anticipation and the other half are cringing.

I know this not because I'm omniscient (although occasionally I like to pretend I am). I'm just making an educated guess that this is the case, based on reactions to my previous posts on strawberry-rhubarb pie.

There are those who swoon for springtime rhubarb recipes. There are those who can handle a bit of rhubarb if it's accompanied by something delicious like strawberries. There are those who have had traumatic experiences with rhubarb that have turned them off to it for life (ask Conservative Mom about the stewed rhubarb she used to have to eat for school lunch, and you'll understand what I mean). And then there are those who refuse to give rhubarb a chance because if so many people don't like it, then it must not be good. (I may or may not live with a fellow who has this mindset.)

I actually fell in the last category myself until Conservative Dad requested strawberry-rhubarb pie a few years ago. I'm such a pie lover, I had to give it a try, rhubarb and all. And I discovered when paired with strawberries and sugar and a nice crust, rhubarb wasn't half bad. In fact, it was pretty good.

But until I made rhubarb crisp, I'd never had anything where rhubarb took the leading role all by itself.


The verdict?

I don't care what you naysayers might think. Rhubarb is good. Maybe not stewed. Maybe not unless accompanied by plenty of sugar. But as a crisp with a nice scoop of homemade vanilla? It's the perfect touch of tart to an otherwise sweet affair.

Sign me up for seconds.

And thirds.

OK, yes, I ate fourths too.


The recipe for rhubarb crisp is easy as can be. It comes courtesy of a good friend and his lovely mother. (Those of you who read the comments section on the blog may discover this recipe looks awfully familiar, as that's where it first appeared.)

All you do is combine 3 cups chopped rhubarb with 1 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons flour in a greased 8x8 pan.

For the incredibly important topping, combine (but don't over-combine) 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 oatmeal, 3/4 flour, and 1/2 cup butter.

Sprinkle the topping over the rhubarb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.


Serve warm with the aforementioned ice cream. And put your silly notions about rhubarb aside already.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed it. The topping works great with apples too, just add a bit of cinnamon to it, and use it to top an 8x8 full of apples (skip the flour, and drastically reduce, or even eliminate, the sugar that you mix with them). I like pie as much as the next person, but sometimes making a pie crust is a pain, and you just want something to sit under your ice cream.

In other rhubarb related news, I was out to my brother's new house yesterday post-closing, and found that they are the proud new owners of a sizeable rhubarb patch. Except that by "proud", I mean that when I mentioned it he and his wife told me to pick as much as I wanted because they don't much care for it. Now I have enough for about 3 pans of this in the freezer, which is fortunate, since, having transplanted Mom's last fall, we aren't supposed to pick it, and this reduces the temptation.

Julie said...

Now you have me craving apple crisp too. That is exciting about the rhubarb at your brother's house. I know I was thrilled to find out one of C.B.'s friends here had some in his backyard that he didn't care for at all.