4.15.2008

Letting Butter Talk

My name is Butter.

I have been in my new home for almost two weeks and am loving every minute of it.

My favorite thing to do in the whole world is sit in front of the living room window and watch the action outside—even if there’s not a soul or car out there anywhere. I wish I could sit here all day. That way I could make sure nothing moves.


Most the time when something does move I just grin happily at it and wag my tail. When I'm really excited, my tongue starts hanging out of my mouth. And it gets lower and lower and lower the happier I am. (I have a really long tongue, in case you were wondering.)

Like I said, I wish I could sit here all day. Only lots of times I have to spend most of the day in the office. My friend Julie is boring then because all she wants to do is work, although every once in a while when I go put my head in her lap and look up at her she can't resist petting me. Then she pats my back to let me know she has to get back to work and I run off to play with one of my fun toys in front of her desk. I love my toys (thanks, Aunt Net!), which I tear to shreds as fast as humanly possible. I can now dismantle a stuffed toy in under five minutes, right down to pulling out the little device inside it that makes noise. Pretty smooth, aren’t I? Only then Julie takes the toy away from me and I never see it again. That's kind of sad.

When I’m not sitting in front of my window or in the office I love taking long walks and playing in the backyard. I also love to follow people around—I will follow my family members around the house no matter what they are doing. I think I’m pretty helpful, actually. I always make sure they have someone to keep them company, which I think is an important job!

When I came here I was very hungry yet not very good at eating. Now I eat three solid meals a day and am much better about going potty only when I am outside. I've even learned to like doggie treats and (shh! don't tell!) people food too. And, luckily, my cough is almost gone too. Because you know what? Being a dog with bronchitis sucks.

Have I mentioned that I love to play? Mostly though, I just love to be petted. I want as much love as you're willing to give me, and then when you're all done petting me I'll come back and ask for more. You probably won't be able to resist. My family rarely does.

Sometimes I forget I’m not supposed to nip at people, but I hardly ever bark or whine. I guess I must be pretty good because my owners want to keep me around—they even came after me today when I ran after a squirrel and snapped my dog collar off. I ran around for a while and wasn’t sure what to do. Luckily when I was on my way home my friend Conservative Boy found me. The man sitting on the porch near us laughed at C.B. because he was wearing a suit when he picked me up and carried me to the Space Turtle. (I’m not a big fan of riding in the Space Turtle, so I tried to resist, but I guess C.B. really wanted me to go home with him. That makes me happy.)

Anyway, now I have a new collar and life is good because I’m back sitting in front of my window. Oh yes, life is good.

No comments: