4.22.2008

Composting (Part III)

I'm on a mission to compost. I intended to create my compost bin this weekend. Really I did. But first, I decided to cheat.

Rather than making my own compost bin like this, which I originally planned to do, I stumbled upon the handy metal container at left when I went to buy a plastic garbage can. Eureka! I said. I was buying the plastic garbage can in order to poke holes in the bottom and sides and use it to stash my compost, but this can had holes already in place.

Is it ideal? Probably not. A big pile on the ground or in a purchased compost tumbler might be better. But this option was relatively cheap and exceptionally easy. And remember, my goal is to compost without (a) disgusting Conservative Boy and (b) disgusting the neighbors (who are quite close on all sides and very friendly, so I don't want to irk them).

Aside from cheating, I also managed to put off getting the compost bin ready to go until tonight—even though it only took about five minutes once I did. But once my handy compost crock was full after this morning's additions (eggshells from Conservative Boy and coffee grounds from me), it was time to do something.

I began by breaking up sticks into small pieces and tossing those in, along with crushed up leaves. These are called the "brown" ingredients. Next I threw in the "green" part, which was all the stuff from the compost crock (this week, in addition to the coffee grounds and egg shells it was mostly potato peelings and banana peels). Then I tossed more brown stuff on top, stuck the lid back on, and called it a day. (At right, you'll see mostly brown stuff. All the green stuff is under there, promise!)

Soon, I'll add some newspapers, maybe an empty egg carton, and definitely some grass clippings along with more kitchen scraps. Hopefully this compost will be cookin' in no time!

Oh, and if you're one of those crazy people who doesn't yet think composting is cool, maybe this will convince you—even Julia Roberts does it.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I had actually been thinking that a tumbler would be much better for your purposes, but the link you provided assured me that if you secure the lid, you can do the same thing by rolling the can. Silly me.

I wonder how using a metal vs. plastic can would weigh on the green scale. It probably depends on the metal. If it is aluminum, it would resist rusting and be readily recyclable. Other types of metal would rust, wear out, and need to be replaced, which cuts both ways, since it would (unlike the plastic) not persist for eons after you check out, but if you go through too many of them you would be encouraging more mining. Is the can made from post-consumer content? That might make a difference, though I suppose plastic ones could be as well. Actually, garbage bins would be a perfect use for recycled plastic, since color/clarity/etc... doesn't matter. Really though, plastic recycling just can't match metals (or glass, really). I think I'll give the match to aluminum, which is quite recyclable, but also won't have to be replaced over and over and over (and those holes would just BEG for rust).

Julie said...

I struggled with the idea of metal vs. plastic too. I question whether the can I chose is the most environmentally friendly option (it was certainly a hasty purchase so I didn't think things through). And rust is definitely going to be a concern, though so far I haven't seen any.

My original intention had been to find a plastic garbage can made from post-consumer content. When I make my rain barrel sometime soon, I intend to do just that.

Thinking through the purchase of materials from production through disposal is probably one of the hardest things about being "green," isn't it? It's something I need to start contemplating more. It's so easy to buy something just because it's marketed as environmentally friendly, without thinking about the environmental impact it had prior to reaching you hands and what will happen to it after you're finished with it.