4.07.2008

Going to a Cubs Game

Yes, that's right. I went to my first Cubs game in Chicago on Sunday. Because Conservative Boy is a die-hard Cubs fan (you know, the kind that says every single year that this is the year, that the Cubbies are going to win the World Series), because I don't really have a team (it's hard to have a team when you grow up in a state without a single pro sports team), and because I am now an Illinoisan (is that what I'm called now?), I now root for the Cubs. (Besides, I've been a fan of the Iowa Cubs for a few years now, so jumping up to the majors is a logical next step, right?)

So Conservative Boy and I hopped the train yesterday morning for the day o' Cubs. As usual, we had some delays, so we were pushing it to arrive in time for the first pitch. In fact, at the point we were going over this bridge, not quite to Union Station yet, we only had approximately 38 minutes in which to make it to our seats. (That little time stamp, if you can see it, says 4:42, but it was really 12:42.)


Needless to say, we didn't make it for the first pitch. But close.

Now, I've never been to Chicago in early April, but from what I hear the weather on Sunday was pretty unusual. Mid-sixties and sunny. Absolutely perfect. From our rooftop seats, we were able to wear jeans and t-shirts and feel perfectly comfortable. Lovely.

Rooftop you ask? Yep, we weren't actually in the stadium. We were across the street, on the roof. For $75 each, we had great seats (as evidenced by the view below—you can't even really tell we weren't in the stadium, can you?) and all the food we could eat (you know, brats, burgers, chips, ice cream) and beer we could drink. Not a bad deal considering how much a hot dog and a Bud Light sets you back in the stadium.


So there we were. Great weather, great seats, lots of food and beer and fun with C.B.'.s friends. Plus the Cubbies won, so you can't beat that. Which was good, because that meant I actually got to hear the whole crowd sing the "Go Cubs Go" song, a welcome change after having to listen to C.B. sing it for a good part of the three-hour train ride to the Windy City.

Will I go back for more Cubs games? Oh yes, anytime. Although I wouldn't mind actually sitting in the stadium next time. Gotta get the whole experience. Bleacher seats maybe?

Oh, and I have to get a Cubs shirt. I didn't have one this time, which made me one of, oh, maybe five people in Wrigleyville on Sunday not wearing a the big red C on my chest. And I'm pretty sure I was the only one in a Wyoming Cowboys t-shirt. Brown and gold really clashes with blue and red on Sundays in Chicago, just so you know.

No comments: