10.13.2008

A Birthday Extravaganza

Tomorrow is my birthday. But it is also one of those days when I have exactly zero free time. So Conservative Boy planned a birthday extravaganza for me this weekend.

He's actually quite good at planning birthday fun.

A couple of years ago, he (along with help from some lovely friends, of course) planned a surprise birthday party for me. And I mean it was a big surprise. I had no clue that anyone was there when walked into my apartment, flipped the lights on, and saw a kitchen full of people shouting happy birthday.

And last year my birthday gift involved a ride through forests bedecked in fall color on the Boone Scenic Railroad, complete with a picnic lunch. See for yourself:



This year's extravaganza began on Friday with lunch at the Blue Dog. Then, that evening, I took my first trip to the town of Clinton for a movie: "Burn After Reading."

Saturday I was allowed Julie Time (aka homework time) all morning and then was informed that we were going on a mystery adventure. Conservative Boy had me thoroughly confused by almost getting on the Interstate to go to Bloomington, then getting on the Interstate to go to Springfield, but then exiting to get on the Interstate to head to Peoria. Our ultimate destination: Mackinaw Valley Winery. (I told you he's good.)



We tasted all sorts of wonderful Illinois-made wines and spent quite a bit of time enjoying near-80-degree weather (with wine, of course) outside on the porch overlooking the vineyard.



They are in the midst of harvesting right now, so many of the rows of vines I traipsed through before we left were still heavy with grapes.



Only in Illinois (well, and maybe Iowa too) do you see vineyards butting up against corn fields.



But the extravaganza wasn't over yet. We attended the first-annual Lobster Boil at the Lincoln Elks. One and a half pounds of fresh lobster plus mussels and oysters? Yum.

And on Sunday, the celebrating continued. First, birthday cake to celebrate C.B.'s cousin Grayson's birthday (and mine too):



And then, shortly thereafter, a birthday BBQ at our house, complete with this delicious grasshopper pie made especially for me by Kid Sister. (Actually, there are two, so if anyone is interested in a piece today or tomorrow, you know where to find me!)



Not a bad birthday extravaganza, eh?

4 comments:

Jason said...

A very merry birthday to you. You must be exhasted from all of the goings on.

Julie said...

Thank you! (And also, I can't recall if I said this yet as I am losing my memory in my old age, but a big congrats to you for passing the bar!)

Jason said...

Thank you as well.

Are those chocolate orange slices on the grasshopper pie?

Julie said...

Hmm. That would be interesting. But actually they're chocolate mint cookies. You know, like the Girl Scout ones. But not.