9.26.2008

Homemade Pasta Sauce

I first made this sauce about a month ago, after Q and MB generously brought us bags of tomatoes from their garden and Conservative Boy and I couldn't eat enough BLTs to keep up. It's incredibly easy to make and exceptionally flavorful. In fact, why the heck would you buy the canned (or jarred) stuff when you could just eat this?



The night before last, I ended up with a decent-size harvest of tomatoes (mostly Romas) from the front yard, so decided I actually had time to make the sauce again. It was even better this time (I think because of the Romas). In fact, now I wish the tomatoes left in the garden would hurry up and turn red so I can make more!

So, here it is, without further ado, from an old Italian cookbook I have:

Fresh-from the garden tomato sauce with garlic and basil

1 large bunch fresh basil
2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped fine (yep, you want that much)
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Black pepper (freshly ground)
1 pound pasta (I had it with fettucine the other night—yum)

1. Blanche tomatoes (plunge them in boiling water for a minute or less, plop them in cold water, then skin them and cut them into coarse pieces). Side note: This is a technique that Conservative Boy actually taught me, because blanching tomatoes is a must if I am to learn how to successfully re-create his mother's famous BLTs. Usually, though, I just leave that job to him. But I digress ...

2. Put the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, and several grindings of pepper into a saucepan and turn on the heat to medium-high. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the oil floats free from the tomato. Taste and correct for salt.

3. Off heat, as soon as sauce is done, mix in the torn-up basil, keeping aside a few pieces to add when tossing the pasta.

4. Serve with fresh parmesan, crusty bread, and a fresh-from-the-garden salad. Delicioso!

2 comments:

Jason said...

I can understand blanching tomatoes if you're making sauce, but for a BLT, why? Does he have you cut the crust off too? You can tell him I said that. Anyway, my grandma sent me back from Wisconsin with about a dozen nice tomatoes, so I may try this, but mine will be better, as there will be meat.

Julie said...

I know, it seems unnecessary for BLTs, doesn't it? Crusts are OK, but there must be salt on the tomatoes, the bread can't be toasted (and must be really soft white bread--no wheat allowed), and mayonnaise must be spread on both pieces of bread. Oh, and no lettuce. It really it impossible to get it right unless you're Conservative Mom.

You should try the sauce! Just don't forget the necessary garlic. I can condone meat in the sauce--typically Conservative Boy insists on it. Sometimes I just have to sneak in some meat-free meals though. I have a bunch more Romas ready to go so may try a different version later this week.