9.29.2008

Convincing You To Get Rid of that Water Bottle

After I succeeded in convincing Conservative Family that bottled water wasn't a necessary purchase, I rejoiced. And promised them I would not say anything about the hard plastic water bottles they were drinking out of instead. And I did a very good job of biting my tongue.

But now it's been quite a few months and, after reading yet another study about the negative health effects of Bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical found in polycarbonate plastic bottles (like the Nalgene bottles so many people drink out of), the lining of canned foods, baby bottles, and more, I decided it's time to hop back on the soap box for a minute. So forgive, me Conservative Family. Don't run me out of town!

The problem with BPA is that it mimics estrogen, a hormone in the endocrine system that's pretty darn important. And when it leaches from can linings, plastic water bottles, and even dental sealants, it messes with our bodies. (Studies indicate that detectable levels of BPA are found in more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, by the way. Yikes!)

Although other countries have already banned BPA in baby bottles (it's particularly harmful for little ones), the United States hasn't followed suit. In fact, the FDA is only just now debating whether it's dangerous or not, and to this point refuses to say it is--even after a study came out September 17 in the Journal of the American Medical Association that found adults with the highest levels of BPA in their urine were more than twice as likely to report having diabetes or heart disease as those with the lowest levels of BPA. And other studies have linked BPA exposure to the risk of certain types of cancer, fertility problems, and childhood behavioral problems.

I know, I know, you science people are going to argue that these aren't conclusive enough, that they aren't definitive. But here's my argument: If there's a pretty good chance that BPA is harmful to our health, why risk it? If all you have to do is stop using that hard plastic water bottle or stop microwaving plastic storage containers, why not go for it?

The good news, for all you Nalgene water bottle lovers out there (ahem ... Conservative Boy), is that they are phasing out use of BPA in their bottles. So even if you decide to get rid of the bottle you're currently using, you can purchase a new Nalgene that's BPA free. (Or get a Sigg bottle--I love mine!)

Or if you're attached to that polycarbonate bottle and don't want to get rid of it, at least heed these recommendations from the National Toxicology Program: Avoid dishwashing your plastic bottles or filling them with hot liquids because the heat has been shown to increase transfer of BPA to the liquid contained therein. (By the way, the National Toxicology program also recommends avoiding microwaving plastic food containers, reducing your use of canned goods, and ensuring that baby bottles are BPA free.)

Learn more from The Green Guide.

End soap box rant now. And happy BPA-free water drinking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up! After starting a website to sell reusable metal bottles last winter, I find myself biting my lip constantly! I watch kids at my children's swim practices pulling out PolyCarb bottles that are half full from the night before and I want to scream.

Last week, I finally gave in and sent out an email to everyone I know with the newest findings from the JAMA and the Yale study on primates. I can't believe how many hadn't read anything about it.

Maybe I'm the goofy one - I just like my water as free from any toxins as I can get!

Jason said...

I use this cool new thing called a glass.