2.05.2008

... To Buy a New Car (Part 1)

I want to begin by saying that I don't want to buy a new car. If I had my way, I'd drive my Space Turtle (aka my 2001 Pontiac Aztek) until it croaked. Yes, it looks an awful lot like an SUV. But it actually gets better mileage than many a friends' car, takes up less space than most SUVs, and does one heckuva job of hauling items when it's time to move.

But recently developments (where to begin? no air conditioning because the condenser needs replaced; $550 down the tubes for work on the brakes and computer system; a disastrous week that involved epic battles to remove the key, an eventual dead battery, an ignition replacement, and some wiring work) have led me to believe it's time to say goodbye to the Space Turtle. Now.

And so I embark on my first challenge: to figure out what car I'm going to buy to replace the precious Aztek. I didn't expect to have to part with him so soon, so now I'm at a loss. Do I buy a hybrid? I'd love to. But are they too expensive for my meager budget? Probably.

That's why it's time to do the math, research the options, and figure out what car I'm meant to buy.

Ready to come along on a test drive?

No comments: