2.05.2008

... Becoming a Vegetarian (But Quits Before She Starts)

The day I created this blog (ie yesterday), I knew immediately what I wanted to try first. Becoming a vegetarian. I spent all day mulling over what I'd cook, how I'd stick to it, how long I'd say no to meat. Considering that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, my carnivorous ways seemed like the perfect thing to give up for Lent.

Then today I changed my mind.

It's not that I don't want to try becoming a vegetarian (albeit for a brief period of time). I do. It's not that I won't try it. I will. It's just that I've talked myself out of trying it right now.

Here's why:

  1. To give up meat for Lent, I'd have to go without eating it for six weeks. Six weeks is a long time to try something that involves a fairly drastic changes in my lifestyle. And I have enough relatively drastic changes I'm still getting used to at the moment, thanks.

  2. I've decided becoming a vegetarian briefly would be much easier in the summer, when I tend to get utterly caught up in the selection of produce at the farmer's market anyway. Why not capitalize on all those fresh fruits and veggies that tempt me all summer long, rather than digging through bruised and soggy produce that's been shipped from California?

  3. The Boy and I moved into our first house at the end of November. He has only lived here for a few weekends since, but he'll be able to live here full-time starting next week. Do I really want to say, "Welcome home! Now eat tofu with me!" when we've never even officially lived together before and he's about as carnivorous as they come? Perhaps not the best way to start things off.
And so my first "try" fails before it even gets off the ground. But don't worry. There are plenty more ideas where that one came from. And as soon as the farmer's market starts up here, I'll revisit my interest in trying out the vegetarian lifestyle. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

Jason said...

The solution, of course, is to take up hunting and fishing. Then you can rail against factory farms and all of that like a good liberal, and also talk about how authentic your meat is, practically organic really.

Julie said...

I hope you weren't going for shock value there. Because I think you're right. Hunting and fishing is a great carnivorous solution. My dad hunted when I was younger so we often had fresh venison, and we always went fishing in the summer. Plus we'd buy a half a cow from the neigbhors--much better than buying beef from god-knows-where at the grocery store, wouldn't you say?

You know, what I really need to do is convince Blinn it would be advantageous to raise our own chickens. I'm sure he (and the neighbors) wouldn't mind at all! Of course, then I'd need to raise them on organic food that I grew myself, right?