8.03.2009

Chilled Peach Pie

Remember my two failed attempts at making (Not So) Conservative Grandmom's chilled strawberry pie? First, there was this. Then this.


Yesterday, Conservative Mom and I tackled the Georgia peach version of the pie, in an attempt to figure out why the heck I failed so miserably at a pretty darn easy recipe.

The peach pie turned out beautifully.

And the only thing we can figure out is that I have a bad box of cornstarch. The second time I tried to make the pie, I ended up adding more than 6 tablespoons of cornstarch into the strawberry mixture to get it to thicken up. And it didn't at all. (This horrified Conservative Mom, who said that much cornstarch should have made it disgustingly, difficult-to-stir thick.)

In other words, it's not my fault. And I'll gladly admit if it's my fault, which is why I share blender explosions and failed recipes regularly.

But anyway, that's all in the past. Let's talk about the present. Specifically, the peach pie in the fridge just a few feet away from me right now.

First, you cook one cup water and about a cup of cut-up peaches until they're soft.


Then, you whir the mixture in the blender. Or, if you're at your vacation home and don't have a blender, just smush those peaches with a fork. It's effective.

Add a cup of sugar and 2-plus tablespoons cornstarch and stir until thick. Make sure you use cornstarch that hasn't been destroyed by age or moisture (not sure which is the culprit with mine ... I plan to investigate when I get home).


Boil and stir until the mixture gets nice and thick (and rejoice when it actually does get thick).

Chill in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for about half an hour.


Meanwhile, blanch the peaches and peel their skins.


Spread a bit of the peach mixture on a baked crust.


Slice the peaches and fill the crust with them.


Top with the rest of the peach mixture.

Chill. Enjoy. And celebrate the fact that you are capable of making this recipe after all. (Oh wait, that's just me ...)

No comments: