3.29.2008

Dog Sitting (Part 2)

So the great adventures in dog sitting have come to an end. Walker is back at his own house now, anxiously awaiting the arrival of his parents later tonight. OK, realistically he probably has no clue they're on their way home. But he'll greet them with absolute joy when they walk in the door, that's for certain. That's just the way he is.

It's actually a bit lonely and quiet in here now that he's gone. I got used to Walker sitting beside me, staring up at me with his "what are you doing" eyes and looking so darn excited to see me every time I walked into the room.

I hear that for those who know Walker personally, my last post on him came across as a bit negative. That's not how it was supposed to sound at all! Sure, I was poking a little bit of fun at him (actually, more so at his family than him). But can anyone really disagree with this statement: he's spoiled. It's true. He's the baby of the family. That's usually how it works.

But Walker is also a very well behaved, well mannered, wonderful dog. (And he's beautiful to boot.) We developed a nice routine this week, from our 6:30 a.m. wandering around the front and back yards to our lunchtime walks down the alley to our after-work jaunts around the neighborhood. He was absolutely sweet the entire week except for (1) when someone would come to the door—then he'd go into guard-dog mode unlike any I've seen from him before, but I guess that's a good thing and (2) when we came back from the animal shelter and he smelled another dog on me ... shortly after that, he pounced on my computer cords while I was working and almost pulled the entire computer off my desk. Other than that? He was an absolute angel.

In fact, I wouldn't mind keeping him. Although I don't know if Conservative Boy would go for that. He still harbors older brother resentment. Although I think after the last day or so they're on better terms—he even got up and took Walker for his walk this morning. (Although it wasn't, of course, at 6 a.m.)

All in all? It was good practice. And we'll only be dog-free for a few days anyway. Why, you ask? Well, you'll just have to wait and see and stop back later this week to find out!

No comments: